Dark-Zero Pokemon Forum

Pokemon forums. Come to chat, battle, trade and more. Show off your art, talk about anything pokemon!

HomeCalendarFAQSearchMemberlistUsergroupsRegisterLog in

Share | 

The Pokemon Roles

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Dark-X-Zero
Administrator
Administrator

Number of posts : 324
Your Favorite Pokemon :
Registration date : 2008-12-12

PostSubject: The Pokemon Roles   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:36 am

Every team must be balanced in the way of roles, if you have a team full of just one type of pokemon such as Sweepers you are most likely going to lose against someone with a well balanced team with a few different roles in.
A good team setup would be to have at least two Sweepers, one Physical and one Special, or go for a Mixed Sweeper, then one or two Walls, a Healer and a Suppoter.
Each role is vital for winning, though personaly I rely on support mainly, along with Sweepers.

SWEEPERS
Sweepers are pokémon that can hit hard. There are three types of sweepers: Physical Sweepers, Special Sweepers, and Mixed Sweepers.

Physical Sweepers
Physical Sweepers use physical attacks to hit the opponent. The best physical sweepers have a high Attack stat and can learn a variety of physical moves. Some physical sweepers can also learn moves that boost their Attack power, such as Dragon Dance, Swords Dance and Bulk Up. Many physical sweepers use the items Choice Band or Life Orb.

Example Sweepers:

Tyranitar
Garchomp
Salamence
Heracross
Aerodactyl
Metagross
Gyarados
Electivire
Weavile
Rhyperior
Lucario

Special Sweepers
Special Sweepers are like physical sweepers except they use special attacks instead of physical attacks. Some special sweepers can also learn moves that boost their Special Attack power, such as Calm Mind. Many special sweepers use the items Choice Specs or Life Orb.

Example SP Sweepers:

Salamence
Alakazam
Gengar
Azelf
Lucario
Raikou
Porygon-Z
Heatran

Mixed Sweepers
These Pokémon can use both physical and special moves effectively. Good mixed sweepers have both high Attack and Special Attack. It also helps if they get STAB on both physical and special attacks (meaning one of their attack runs off the Attack stat and the other runs off Special Attack). Many mixed sweepers use Life Orb, since it increases the power of both there Attack and Special Attack.

Example Mixed Sweepers:

Infernape
Dragonite
Salamence
Electivire

WALLS
Walls are Pokémon with great Defense or Special Defense or both. Their job is to defend against Sweepers and their hard-hitting attacks. Many walls have Rest or other recovery moves, because this helps them survive longer. Walls are also good with moves like Thunder Wave and Will-o-wisp that cause status effects because this cripples Sweepers even more by lowering their Speed or Attack stats.

Physical Walls
These Pokémon defend against physical sweepers. The best physical walls have high Defense and few weaknesses to common physical moves.

Example Physical Walls:

Hippowdon
Skarmory
Weezing
Forretress
Donphan
Gliscor
Steelix
Regirock
Cloyster
Rhyperior
Tangrowth

Bulky Waters
Bulky Waters are a special group of Water Pokémon that have good HP and Defense. They aren't "real" physical walls because since they are Water types, they don't have too many useful resistances. But they can be used to defend against strong physical sweepers like Garchomp and Tyranitar, who have weaknesses to Water or Ice.

Example Bulky Waters:

Milotic
Suicune
Vaporeon
Slowbro
Gyarados
Blastoise

Special Walls
These Pokémon defend against special sweepers. The best special walls have high Special Defense and few weaknesses to common special moves.

Example SP Walls:

Blissey
Snorlax
Regice
Empoleon
Cradily

Mixed Walls
These walls have both high Defense and high Special Defense to handle both special attacks and physical attacks effectively. The problem with mixed walls is that they usually have low offensive stats, which means they can't really hurt the opponent much. They usually rely on healing, status, and support moves to help them in battle.

Example Mixed Walls:

Cresselia
Umbreon
Registeel
Claydol
Dusknoir
Bronzong
Uxie
Spiritomb

SUPPORTERS
Support Pokémon use supporting moves that help the team out and thus, making it easier to win. Supporters are often also Sweepers or Walls, so you'll see a lot of previously mentioned Pokémon appear again in these lists.

Spikers/Toxic Spikers/Stealth Rockers
Spikers use the move Spikes. Spikes is a Ground move that damages the opponent everytime they switch Pokémon (unless they are Flying-type or have the trait Levitate). If you use Spikes 3 times in one battle, the opponent's team will take 25% damage everytime they switch. 25% is actually a lot of damage, especially if the opponent switches a lot, so Spikes can be very annoying.

Stealth Rock is even more annoying, since nothing is immune to it. It also takes only one turn to fully set up and any Pokemon weak to Rock type will take 25% damage simply by switching in (Pokemon with 4x Rock weaknesses will take a whopping 50%).

Example Spikers/Toxic Spikes/Stealth Rockers:

Skarmory
Forretress
Cloyster

And virtually any physical wall that can learn either of these moves.

Spinners
Spinners use the move Rapid Spin to counteract Spikes/Stealth Rock/Poison Spikes. Rapid Spin will remove all these moves from the arena so that you won't take damage when you switch Pokémon.

Example Spinners:

Starmie
Forretress
Cloyster
Claydol
Donphan

Baton Passers (BPers)
Baton Passers use the move Baton Pass (duh!). Baton Pass takes any stat changes your current Pokémon has and transfers them to the next Pokémon that you select. So if you use Swords Dance to boost your Attack and use Baton Pass, the next Pokémon that comes out will automatically have a boosted stat.
Baton Pass transfers more than just stat boosters. Mean Look can also be passed. So you can trap the opponent with Mean Look then pass to a Pokémon that can easily finish off the opponent (and the opponent can't escape!).
Substitute can also be passed. For more info on this, read the SubPassing section in Move Combos.

Example BPers:

Ninjask
Umbreon
Vaporeon
Jolteon
Espeon
Leafeon
Smeargle
Celebi
Scizor
Togekiss

Hazer/Pseudo-hazer (Phazers)
Hazers are Pokémon who use Haze. Haze cancels out all stat changes. This is important since it means that Pokémon who use stat boosting moves (especially Baton Passers) will have their stat boosts eliminated.
Pseudo-hazers use Roar or Whirlwind. These two moves make the opponent switch out and they are similar to Haze because when you switch out, all your stat changes are gone.
A lot of Pokémon can learn Haze/Roar/Whirlwind, but in order to be a good Haze/Phazer you have to have good defenses. This is especially true for Phazers, because Roar/Whirlwind always go last so your opponent has a free chance to hit you.

Example Phazers:

Weezing
Steelix
Hippowdon
Donphan
Suicune
Skarmory

Clerics/Healers
Clerics use the moves Heal Bell or Aromatherapy to heal the entire team of status moves. Good Clerics should have high HP or defensive stats so they can successfully heal the team even after taking a hit from the opponent. Clerics often have a recovery move so they can heal their own HP to survive longer.

Example Clerics/Healers:

Celebi
Blissey
Miltank

http://dragcave.net/user/Dark-X-Zero

Some Of You May Know Me As Neotoxicblitz, Yes That Is Me.

Last edited by Dark-X-Zero on Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:55 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://darkzero-pokemon.forumotion.com
Dark-X-Zero
Administrator
Administrator

Your Favorite Pokemon :

PostSubject: Re: The Pokemon Roles   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:37 am

[reserved]

Back to top Go down
Dark-X-Zero
Administrator
Administrator

Your Favorite Pokemon :

PostSubject: Re: The Pokemon Roles   Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:58 am

Here I will post some examples of each Role so that you can understand how they really work.

Sweeper:

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Stone Edge
Earthquake
Crunch
Pursuit

SP Sweeper:

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Draco Meteor
Flamethrower
Hydro Pump
Dragon Pulse

Mixed Sweeper:

Infernape @ Life Orb
Flamethrower
Close Combat
Grass Knot
Nasty Plot

Physical Wall:

Hippodon @ Leftovers
Earthquake
Slack Off
Stealth Rock
Roar

Bulky Water:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Surf
Ice Beam
Recover
Hypnosis

SP Wall:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Seismic Toss
Thunder Wave
Softboiled
Aromatherapy

Mixed Wall:

Milotic @ Leftovers
Ice Beam
Reflect
Thunder Wave
Moonlight

Spiker/Toxic Spiker/Stealth Rocker:

Skarmory @ Leftovers
Drill Peck
Roost
Spikes
Whirlwind

Spinner:

Starmie @ Leftovers
Rapid Spin
Surf
Thunderbolt
Recover

BPer:

Ninjask @ Liechi Berry
Swords Dance
Substitute
Baton Pass
Silver Wind

Phazer:

Weezing @ Leftovers
Haze
Pain Split
Will-o-wisp
Sludge Bomb

Cleric/Healer:

Celebi @ Leftovers
Heal Bell
Recover
Psychic
Leech Seed

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Pokemon Roles   

Back to top Go down

The Pokemon Roles
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1